Our primary symbols for this website are taken from the Hunter Street Bridge which connects downtown Peterborough with the East City across the river. We see this bridge as a key Peterborough landmark with great importance to Peterborough’s history almost equal to the Peterborough Liftlock. The bridge unites the City of Peterborough downtown east and west of the Otonabee River. The East City, as it is now known, was originally the Village of Ashburnham, before it was annexed by the Town of Peterborough in 1904. With an expanded population Peterborough became a city in 1905. There were earlier bridges across the river at Hunter Street but the current Hunter Street Bridge was originally built between 1919 and 1921 and was restored recently, reopening in August 2012. The $8 Million restoration project included 88 terra cotta shamrocks in the railing at the centre, the railing itself, other terra cotta elements including crests of armour and the “Peterborough” inlays at the center, and the large light standards at each end and the middle of the bridge.
Our website Twitter account @PtboDotOrg uses a shamrock from the Hunter Street bridge as its profile photo.
Peterborough’s Member of Parliament Dean Del Mastro
Peterborough’s member of Parliament Dean Del Mastro has been charged with four offenses under Canada’s Election Act. This follows a lengthy investigation related to cheques written and spending limits in the 2008 Federal Election and subsequently failing to provide correct information as requested for the investigation. Mr. Del Mastro denies the allegations against him and vows to fight them. His first appearance on the charges was in the Peterborough criminal court on November 7, 2013. Mr. Del Mastro is defended by local lawyer Jeff Ayotte who appeared as agent for Mr. Del Mastro who did not attend. The case was put over until December 4th.
Peterborough’s Member of Parliament has left the Conservative Caucus in Parliament while charges are pending and he has indicated he intends to sit as an Independent Member of Parliament who will vote with the Government. He has been removed as a Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency, for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario, and for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario. He has lost the $16,000 annual salary that goes with the parliamentary secretary job. While continuing as Member of Parliament for Peterborough, Mr. Del Mastro will still receive his $160,200 salary for being a Member of Parliament in Canada. Dean Del Mastro continues to operate his Constituency Office and his website deandelmastro.ca where there is currently a contest for students to submit drawings for Mr. Del Mastro’s 2014 Community Calendar. The website correctly refers to work as Parliamentary Secretary in the past tense and does not refer to any party affiliation.
Peterborough.org is an independent website which expresses no political views but welcomes your opinions. In our Poll we asked if it is best for Mr. Del Mastro to resign or continue as Peterborough’s representative in Canada’s Parliament.
39 people voted whether Dean Del Mastro should resign his seat in Parliament now, if convicted, or not at all. We kept the poll as neutral as possible. Abuse of the poll was possible but did not appear to happen. We did not require voters in the Poll to be Peterborough residents. IP addresses of voters were monitored to help with the honesty of the poll. Voting ended October 31, 2013. Twenty five voted that Mr. Del Mastro should resign now and ten voted that he should resign if convicted. Nobody voted that he should not resign. There were four comments instead of votes half of which were negative about Mr. Del Mastro and not appropriate for publication and half appeared to be spam not responsive to the question in any way. Obviously Mr. Del Mastro will have to make his own decision while the charges are pending and we will see what happens after they are resolved.
Many people have Tweeted photos from the 43rd annual Head of the Trent 2013 with @Ptbodotorg and #Ptbo #HOTT2013. We have posted the best rowing photos here starting with our own above, taken with an Iphone 5 just before noon October 5, 2013 looking down from the Reginald Faryon Bridge. Photos below are all from Twitter. The Head of the Trent is the largest one day rowing regatta held in North America and draws over 1200 rowers from over 50 clubs and schools. Despite non-ideal weather the turnout was huge and a good time was had.
Peterborough is very proud of its university located in the north end of the City of Peterborough on the Otonabee River. Community leaders dreamed of a university in the early 1960s and with the leadership of Professor Tom Symons and generous community support and land donations in the Nassau Mills area from General Electric, Trent university started in 1963 and officially opened in 1964 with downtown facilities. Trent began as a small liberal arts school which featured small group teaching and a tutorial system with a residential college system. For the first decade everybody knew everybody else and there was much interaction between “Town and Gown” with activities in the city which housed two of the university’s colleges, Peter Robinson College for male students (now closed) and Catherine Parr Traill College for female students (now the home of graduate studies). The administration was located in Rubidge Hall in town in the early days and now is located on the Nassau Mills campus in the still beautiful Bata library on the west bank of the river. Trent now has more diverse programs and the science area has grown greatly with new buildings on the east bank. Champlain College opened for male students in 1967 and Lady Eaton College for female students opened in 1968. The two colleges and the library were the centrepieces of the brilliant campus architecture of Ronald Thom, which integrated nature with university buildings, in harmony. Within a few years society had changed and the gender divisions were removed from the colleges. The campus added co-ed Otonabee College in 1972 and Peter Gzowski College in 2003. The college system was and still is a major part of the Trent system and values. There is now a student residence across the road from the west bank campus and it is not associated with a College.
With over 8,000 full time students Trent is now a medium sized university with 50 years of loyal alumni. Trent has become a leading institution for Canadian studies, environment, indigenous studies and even has a nursing programme. Trent has changed with the times but retains the values and vision of its founding president Tom Symons pictured below then and now:
Young President Symons
Retired Tom Symons
Trent has big plans for the coming year with 50th Anniversary celebrations and hopes to involve many people in reunions and commemorative events. For specific information visit the university website: Trentu.ca
Canadian novelist Robertson Davies was born in Thamesville Ontario, between Chatham and London, on August 28, 1913 and is remembered with great affection in Peterborough Ontario. where he was a very important member of the community. In Peterborough, Robertson Davies is best remembered as editor and publisher of the Peterborough Examiner Newspaper from 1942 to 1955. Some of Robertson Davies best literary work was written while he was in Peterborough. Award winning writings done while in Peterborough included;
Won the Dominion Drama Festival Award for best Canadian play in 1948 for Eros at Breakfast.
Won the Stephen Leacock Award for Humour in 1955 for Leaven of Malice.
He also wrote and directed plays for the Peterborough Theatre Guild, and with his wife Brenda acted in them. He and other family members owned TV and radio stations including Peterborough’s CHEX TV and CHEX AM Radio. After leaving Peterborough Mr. Davies went on to greater fame as founding Master of Massey College of the University of Toronto and with his authorship of the Carl Jung inspired “Deptford Trilogy” of novels released in the 1970s: Fifth Business, The Manticore and World of Wonders. The fictional town of Deptford was inspired more by Thamesville than by Peterborough. Professor Davies was awarded a Trent University Honourary Doctor of Literature degree in 1974 when Fifth Business and the Manticore were making the author well known on a broader basis. The Manticore won the Governor General’s Award in 1972. Robertson Davies won many awards in recognition of his literary work and was also awarded an Honourary Doctor of Letters by Oxford University in 1991. He was a Companion of the Order of Canada. Robertson Davies died in 1995 at age 82.
Robertson Davies and his daughters outside their home at 572 Waller St. Peterborough
Welcome to our new web source and community website for Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. This was formerly an informational website of Peterborough, England but it has been captured by Canadians and here we are. You can also find our community page on Facebook. We are in the Central East Region of Southern Ontario about 100 KM northeast of Toronto. The City of Peterborough has a population of 80,000 and the Peterborough County total population is 135,000. The population expands in the summer with many cottagers living seasonally on the lakes.
This website is designed for Peterborough residents and visitors. The site was just launched on July 7, 2013. Keep tuned for lots of good things to follow. We will be adding links to local events, businesses, community organizations, services, sights and activities. Our site does not Tweet (yet) but we do post a feed of new #Ptbo posts on Twitter for informational purposes.
Peterborough has a large new Provincial Park consisting of 375.87 km2 (92,879.5 acres). Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park is the 7th largest Provincial Park in Ontario and takes up a large part of Peterborough County. It is 50 km. north of the City of Peterborough and includes all of Anstruther Lake where there are cottages and a number of other lakes in the northwest quadrant of Peterborough County. It is one of 9 “Signature Sites” in the Ontario parks system and is the most southern of the Signature Sites. It has recently (in 2011) begun to provide 108 organized back country campsites and limited other facilities for visitors. Access to campsites is by canoe or kayak. Winter camping is allowed by permit only. Reservations are made centrally through Parks Ontario as there is no in park central facility. Click here to reserve a campsite. There is fishing for small mouth bass, large mouth bass, lake trout, brook trout and northern pike. Regulated hunting is allowed too. There are six established canoe routes through the Park and most of the campsites exist along the canoe routes where they informally existed for many years before. This new park in cottage country dwarfs nearby Petroglyphs Provincial Park, a historic site for day use only. Kawartha Highlands Park was in a planning stage from 1997 and became chartered as a park with legislation passed in 2003. A regulation proclaimed April 21, 2005 made this vast area a Provincial Park. It has many access points which are not controlled like those of most other parks. Its Existing residential cottage use has been allowed to continue with all other lands in the park boundary publicly owned and environmentally protected. Kawartha Highlands Park is classified as a “Natural Environment Park” and considered to be “Semi Wilderness”. It is a great place to explore in Peterborough County. If you visit the park please share your experience with a comment on this post or by tweeting using #Ptbo